Apr 30 2015
LightSpace x-Series true 3D Volumetric display
Preliminary datasheet – Rev. C
- Medical and scientific volumetric image data visualization
- X-ray and ultrasonic 3D reconstructed image visualization
- Underwater sonar 3D image visualization
- Geophysics and Geospatial Data Visualization
- Command and Control Systems, Tactical Displays
- Structural chemistry and biochemistry
- CAD/CAM, Virtual synthesis and prototyping
How It Works:
- 3D image data frame is sent from image processing workstation to the display where it is converted into image slices.
- A high-speed DLP projector rear projects each slice onto one of 20 LCD shutter layers
- Shutter states (transparent or scattering) are synchronized within frames to place images at the right depth.
- Depth Anti-aliasing™ image processing creates a solid continuous 3D image.
Why Use a LightSpace 3D Volumetric Display?
- Physically deep 3D images leverage all of the human visual perception bandwidth to intuitively convert 3D computer data into human knowledge.
- Comprehension of complex 3D information is dramatically enhanced.
- Multiple viewers are supported without glasses, helmets, restricted viewing angles or special training.
- Easy interfaces to image processing systems that already create synthesized 3D images.
- Standardized hardware – DisplayPort 1.2 transfer media and PCI-e Gen2 slot for 3D image output adapter helps easy integration into existing image processing systems
LightSpace x1403a true 3D Volumetric Display System Specifications *)
Image size and viewing characteristics
- 395 x 295 x 100mm deep multilayer LCD image volume (19” front diagonal)
- 90° field of view with full motion parallax in both horizontal and vertical dimensions
- All solid-state system – NO moving parts, solid state light sources
- Front-viewed display system with Cartesian display geometry (x, y, z)
- NO encumbering eyewear
- NO head tracking
- Arbitrary viewing distance
- Supports multiple simultaneous viewers
Display operation modes (software switchable), resolution, refresh, update rate and color depth
- 1024 x 768 transverse pixels x 20 depth planes = 15.7 million physical addressable voxels
- Useable color depth up to 24 bit per voxel (RGB each color up to 8 bit per voxel)
- Image optical refresh rates in relation to color depth and achievable light intensity:
- 30 fps (full 3D frames per second) at 24bpv (8bpc, 75% of max light intensity)
- 40 fps at 18bpv (6bpc, 80% of max light intensity)
- 55 fps at 18bpv (6bpc, 60% of max light intensity)
- Several other modes possible
- Image update rate limited by DisplayPort 1.2 max data transfer speed – 17.28Gbps:
- 45 fps at 24bpv (8bpv)
- Image data frame output rate limited by current status of PC architecture – motherboards PCI-e Gen2 x8 – 10.8Gbps:
- Indicative - 33 fps at 24bpv (8bpc) – verified for both Linux/Windows7 operating system environment
Computer and software compatibility
- Data transfer interface – standard DisplayPort 1.2
- Requires special high speed output video adapter, offered with display – x1403PCI-DP (revision compatible with standard 4K display card with DisplayPort 1.2 will follow shortly)
- Requires high speed data transfer motherboards with one free PCI-e Gen2 x8 socket
- SDK and engineering support package include drivers and application examples for both – Linux and Windows 7 operating systems
Physical Specifications (estimated)
- System Power Requirements: 200W
- Display unit power inlet - DC 12V, 18A
- Supplied with DC 12V adapter for mains 85-265VAC 50-60Hz 250W
- Weight: 35kg
- Dimensions – unit to be mounted in 19” rack for safe transportation and deployment
- Temperature: 20°-30°C
- Humidity: 20-80% non-condensing
*) All specifications subject to change without notice.